Tuesday, July 10, 2001

Many of you may not know this, but, Joe Elliot and Phil Collen of Def Leppard have been playing on and off for the last 6-8 years with Woody Woodmansey and Trevor Bolder (the original Spiders from Mars rhythm-section) in the band Cybernauts.

Here's a peek at a BowieNet interview with Joe:

BN: Top five Spiders era Bowie songs?

JE: First of all, for me this question is impossible to answer, but seeing as you asked..... My Top 5 today is:

1. Moonage Daydream
2. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
3. Saviour Machine
4. Drive-In Saturday
5. Velvet Goldmine
6. Bewlay Brothers
(oh, go on, pleeeze!)

BN: Top five pre/post Spiders Bowie songs?

JE: 1. Win
2. Silly Boy Blue
3. Buddah Of Suburbia
4. Growin' Up and I'm Fine (I know, I know.....)
5. Little Wonder/Heroes
(I told you it was impossible!)

BN: Have you ever met David Bowie?

JE: Yes, I have had the privilege. Briefly at the Freddie Mercury gig, and twice in Dublin at those secret warm-up gigs he keeps doing there (please don't stop doing them!) Oh, and once at a BBQ at Bono's house, when David got me to go sing "Happy Birthday" with him to The Edge in some restaurant about 5 miles away. You had to be there, you couldn't make it up!

May I also add that Mark Platti (website down - Ed) introduced me to "one of your biggest fans" when Bowie played "H.Q." in Dublin, (1999 warm-up for the 'hours...' album). It was none other than fab Bowie back-up singer, Emm Gryner, who has since become an e-mail buddy of mine. ......Aaaaaaaannnnnnndddddddd has done an absolutely stunningly fabulous piano version of "Pour Some Sugar On Me", which she sent me a while back and had everybody in the band drooling! Nice to see the wheel turning around.