Friday, July 23, 2004

Today is an interesting day.

My son turns 16 today. My parents shipped me off to Central America on a one way ticket a month shy of my 16th birthday. It's been a running joke around here that we would soon have to send him off to some third world existance; "well, we'll be having to send you off in about 2 years", "just a couple more months now, son, and you'll be off too", etc.

I can't think of a single thing my son could do to make me ship him off to a relative in a third world country (we actually don't have family in the third world today, so...). I haven't been able to come up with a hypothetical that would make us ship him off anywhere. There's nothing so bad that he could do to make us do that to him.

We love our son. He has a great heart. He desires to do the right and honourable thing. Nothing could make us discard him in that way. We would all work it out together like we have all these years. Life without him wouldn't be life. It would be a tragedy. Happy birthday my son.

Ten years ago today I pulled out of Los Angeles with my family. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies with our rented mini-van packed to the brim heading for Dallas. Our plan was to have the wife and kids stay in Dallas with the in-laws til I got off tour in Oct. When I got off tour in Oct., i knew we were suppose to stay and make a life for ourselves here. We did and it's been good for us. Hard at times, it's Texas, but it's been good for us.

Today is an interesting day...